Small daily steps or Massive Action?

It's very hard to be content with doing small actions when you are starting a new project.

The big vision is there like a mountain begging to be climbed. Today. Not tomorrow, not six months down the road. You are so filled with excitement, dreams and plans for getting to the top that the idea of doing something that only takes five or ten minutes seems really, really stupid.

It is like wanting an ice cream cone on a hot, summer day, when you are on a diet and your brain tells you that you should just take a drink of water.

How strong is your resistant factor?

Reason it out. Better for you? Check.

What you want to do? No.

Which one WILL you do?

Hmmm?

Me, I probably went and got that ice-cream.

I am sorry to say, I am an impulsive, gotta have it now person.

Blah.

I've read articles and even a book on two how those people with the ability to master "delayed gratification" will succeed hands down over us impulsive ones.

So sad, for me.

I'm trying to be better but I'm not winning the game at it.

Sure it makes sense. I know that after starting twenty different projects and never finishing them that it is probably the better way to go.

But . . .

How do I convince myself that doing something small for 180 days will have a greater effect than doing 40 hours this week?

One way I think is to just tell myself that is what I am going to do.

No debate with this. I am doing it.

Starting now.

No more reading articles about it.

No more praying for a miracle to change me into someone different than I am.

Or praying that circumstances be different than what they are.

I'm just starting right this minute.

The small thing that I am going to do?

Write a daily blog post for this site. Every single day I will write something.

Not going to send it out - or blast it to cyberspace.

No, I am just going to do it quietly for myself.

It may never get read by another person and that is okay.

It's my journey to be honest with myself.

There are lots of other things that I will do in bigger chunks of time. But this is just the small daily bit I am doing for me.

And I know the world does not really need or want another "personal" blog of daily nothing - but I'm throwing it out to the world anyway.

It's what I do best.

Daily bits of nothing. Like a butterfly flitting from flower to flower. Just what he does.

I'm through arguing with myself.

No more squeezing myself into a life form that doesn't fit.

Just going to love today and live for the day and do my best.

Just for today.

 

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts